Monday, July 25, 2011

Up Close and Tangled

I don't feel nearly as witty today as I have in the past, so please disregard my sorry attempt at humor today.

Here is the Tangled theme cake.  It was a LOT of work, but ended up being one of my favorites to date.  I think, start to finish, it took me about 15 hours.  That, of course, includes bake time, cool time, fondant time, decorating time, adjusting time, and picture time.  Yes.  Cakes take FOREVER, especially when you have little ones at home who like to "help" or need you to stop what you're doing to feed them.  I am thankful for the ultimate babysitter on these types of days:  Disney Movies, PBSKids.com, and Nintendo Wii.  I don't think my kids mind getting a full day of being "plugged in" when I do these cakes, but I try not to do them too terribly often.  I much prefer the zoo.

So here it is, in all its glory.  Feel free to ask any questions, but I'll do my best to answer them all as I post these pictures.

 Cake from the front.
It took me about 10 minutes to braid that darn thing.  Seriously, I thought it would be a breeze, but it turned out that fondant breaks if you work with it too much when it's drying out!

 Top view.  There's Tinkerbell, in all her glory.  :)  I can only imagine that she's waiting for Rapunzel to come out to play.  Apparently, though, she didn't see the movie, because Rapunzel wasn't allowed outside. Tinkerbell is going to be waiting an awfully long time!
 The bridge and cobblestones are my favorite elements of this cake.  
I formed the bridge around a can of green beans and let it dry overnight.  Worked like a charm!  

 Each of the cobblestones were hand-shaped.  Not that they were hard, it just took a long time to make them and then put them on the cake.  Good thing kids like sugar so much!

The tower was a bit tricky.  It didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped.
Made from RKT and covered in fondant.  The RKT made it bumpy, so it looked pretty realistic, but I would like to have found a way to attach the hair so it didn't look funny at the point of entry.  Oh well.  Next time I'll work on that detail.

Back corner of the cake.  LOVED this part because of the cobblestones.  
Cobblestones... is that the right word?  Maybe just "forest rocks."  
Oh well, the vines and flowers were all piped on and took WAY less time than the rest of the elements of the cake.  It was SO fun, though, and I think it really turned out well.

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment