Sunday, July 24, 2011

Train Wrecks

Don't judge me!

I was just starting out, and I have to admit that these are the ones I am LEAST proud of!  Thought I'd start out with these as to not give y'all false hope!  I will say that I've gotten MUCH better in the past few months, but these are constantly in the back of my mind reminding me that anything can go wrong at any moment.  Getting too over-confident is what will lead to ruin, so I try to keep these images in my head as a way to keep myself out of the clouds. :)  Sorry, Andrea, since a couple of these are ones I made for you!  :(


 Baby Shower Cake:  clothesline, flowers, shoes, buttons.  
The idea was to make these cute things on a buttercream frosted cake.  
Lesson I learned from this:  I need to learn to perfect my buttercream skills!!  

 50th Birthday Party Cake
This one wasn't so bad.  It actually was a LOT of fun. 
Buttercream was MUCH better on this one than the previous cake.
Car, though free hand, turned out well, but could have used some more definition.
Lesson I learned from this:  Topsy Turvy Cakes need to be at least 3 tiers tall.
Overall, I loved the design and execution of this cake, it just wasn't as perfect as I'd have liked it to be.

Birthday Cake for Two: Baseball theme and Construction Theme
Two very different men, melded into one LESS than perfect cake.  
Lesson I learned from this one:  I should sometimes go with my first instinct on a cake.
My original design idea?   A baseball on top with a circular saw through the center.  
I think that would have been MUCH better.  

Special thanks to those who saw these cakes and paid me anyway.  There is a special place in heaven for people like you!

Cindy

1 comment: