Monday, July 25, 2011

Beautiful Birthdays

Today I decided to add a post about birthdays.  Not just any birthdays, but GIRL birthdays!

If you know me, you'll know that I LOVE birthdays!  I love to make a big deal out of them, let EVERYONE know that it's a birthday day and plan big parties that often include way too much food and WAY too much cake!


I don't have any stigma against getting older.  I always wanted to be the one in charge, so I like being the adult.  Turning 30 doesn't scare me one bit!  Of course, I still have a couple of years to go, and maybe my mind will change as I get closer and realize that I'm almost thirty and have done very little with my life or accomplished very little in my 30 fabulous years, but I'm sure I won't feel that way at all.  After all, my life pretty much rocks. :)

I suppose my love of birthdays spawns from my parents a bit.  My mom always made such a big deal out of birthdays for myself and my seven brothers and sisters.  We never had a lot of money to spend on big parties, but mom and dad let us do things like choose the dinner Mom would make, choose who said the blessing (something Dad was normally in charge of), stay up 30 whole minutes later than the rest of the kids, and SOMETIMES even take a day off of school.  That was a rarity, but it was awesome when it would happen!  We always got to choose our flavor and frosting of cake, and mom usually topped them off with a WHOLE PACKAGE of M&Ms!  I LOVED my birthdays growing up!  I hope that I can force that kind of fun onto my kids, too, so they'll grow up loving them as much as me!  

Anyway, I hope you enjoy these photos.  I've had such fun making cakes for girls... especially since I don't have any at home to spoil rotten!  Thank goodness for friends and nieces!


 Tea Party Cake for my niece.  
This cake was a LOT of fun, and I was able to work with my Mother-in-Law on the design and execution.  She's so smart!
This cake was done almost as an afterthought and only took a couple of hours, including bake time.
What I learned from this cake:  sometimes my sewing tools (which I NEVER use) can be used for cake!  Awesome.

 My 28th Birthday cake.  30 minutes after bake/cool time.
What I learned:   Simple can be best!
I love a good cake, even if it only takes 5 minutes to decorate!

 Cinderella Cake:  Egg and Nut Free.
What I learned:  Sometimes the cake pan's instructions are VASTLY different than the actual process of making a cake;  
Each different recipe can change the way a cake turns out;
A cake this shape has to cook a LOT longer to make sure the center is done!

After only ONE failed attempt, I learned how to fix it, but it took a lot of reading and phone calls to my bestie!

Flowers and Fun
Cake for my niece's 1st birthday
What I Learned:  I don't have nearly enough different types of flower cookie cutters!
Happy Birthday, Lilah-Bird!

Tinkerbell Tangled
This was for a little girl turning 5 years old!  She's just the cutest thing you'll ever see, and she wanted a Tangled cake, after the new Disney movie.  SO awesome and SO fun!
What I learned:  Cobblestones take a LONG TIME to add to a cake;
when a 5-year-old wants a Tinkerbell candle on her Rapunzel cake, she gets what she wants, and it doesn't matter if the cake is designed for that!  
LOVED this cake!

My next post will show more pictures of this cake, up close and personal.  

Cindy

1 comment:

  1. Wait... I know you're not done yet, but didn't you make me a piano cake?

    ReplyDelete