Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Farm Memories

Last Fall, my husband's grandfather passed away.  He was an incredible man, with an amazing past, and an unheard of work-ethic.  Both of his parents were deaf, and since he was the only boy in the family, he assumed work and responsibility of the family at a very young age.  He helped build the home that his parents lived in, which would eventually become his own until the day he died.  Among a million other things, he built roads, worked in a lumber mill, and rode trains down to California for work.  After getting married, he raised three wonderful children, who went on to give him grandchidren, and eventually great-grandchildren!  When he passed last Fall, his family and friends gathered at the family farm for a luncheon. By special request, his daughter (my mother-in-law) asked me to make a cake of the farm with hay bales and tractors.  The picture I have here only has one of the two tractors on the cake, but everyone was pleased with it.  I'm glad that I was able to contribute something to a day dedicated to such a remarkable man!  He is truly missed every day.   I hope you enjoy the cake!



Grandpa's Farm Cake
Chocolate cake, buttercream icing, toasted coconut rows

What I Learned:  Frosted Mini-Wheats make GREAT Hay Bales!

No comments:

Post a Comment